A Proudly South African Meme, inspired by EXMI:
Link back to the Meme creator - Caz
Link back to the person who tagged you - Me
Give at least 5 reasons why you love SA
Let Me know once you've done it!!!
1. The divine weather that is not like any other place in the world.
Summer is my absolute favourite. What would the world be like without
the scorching sun blazing bright in the blue blue sky and those long
sultry summer nights with the breeze blowing gently and the mozzies and fireflies lighting up the night. Oh and don't forget those highveld storms!
2. I love the strong unified nation we represent whenever there is something huge going on - whether it be a sporting event or a huge crises like Load Shedding or Xenophobia we all stand together.
3. Nelson Mandela. This great icon just seems to make everything a little extra special.
4. The Rainbow Nation - we are truly a nation of all sorts. We have different tastes, cultures, lifestyles etc etc which makes us stand out to the rest of the world.
5. We are a nation of firsts. The first democratic nation to have two anthems, the first heart transplant, the first African on the moon, the first African country to host the Soccer world cup. There are a whole lot more and I am sure that there are a number of firsts still waiting for us to grab.
6. I love the wonderful people of this land. How each will go out of their way to help one another, how despite what is plaguing them at any time, they will always find time to smile and offer a helping hand and how even during adversity and challenges they will find it in their hearts to help and assist.
In July this year at our Annual conference our very American CEO during his presentation highlighted some fast facts about South Africa. I must admit that it really made one feel proud to be part of this country. I thought I would share it:
The rand was the best performing currency against the US Dollar between 2002 and 2005
South Africa has 55,000 high net-wealth individuals holding at least US$1million in financial assets
South Africa has the 27th biggest economy in the world
The JSE Securities Exchange is the 14th largest equities exchange in the world
The South African oil company Sasol has established the only commercially viable oil-from-coal operations in the world.
South African Breweries (SABMiller) ranks as the second largest brewing company in the world. It supplies up to 50% of China's beer.
Durban is the largest port in Africa and the ninth largest in the world.
Since 1994, 500 houses have been built each day for the poor and 1,000 houses per day have received electricity.
There are 39 million cell phone users in South Africa
South Africa has the world’s largest deposits of gold, chromium, platinum & manganese.
The only street in the world to house two Nobel Peace Prize winners is in Soweto. Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu both have houses in Vilakazi Street, Orlando West.
South Africa hosts the largest timed cycle race in the world (the Cape Argus Cycle Tour), the world's oldest and largest ultra-marathon (the Comrades Marathon) and the world's largest open water swimming event (the Midmar Mile)
South Africa will become the first African country to host the Soccer World Cup in 2010 … and only the second country in the world to have hosted the Cricket, Rugby and Soccer World Cups.
Since the 1940s, South African golfers have won more golf majors than any other nation, apart from the United States.
Afrikaans is the youngest official language in the world
Ok - I tag:
Come on guys - This was really Fun!!!!!