Tuesday, August 19, 2008

So many things - So little time

I am back in the land of the living or more like the working. I was actually back yesterday and I typed this whole long post and somehow or the other it didn't save and I couldn't post it. So much for technology. So here's me trying to play catch up and trying again.

I have so much to write about and am not really sure where to start. I wasn't in the office for the better part of last week. Our annual conference started on Tuesday evening and ended on Friday. It was long and at times highly boring and at the end of it all I was more tired than a hard week at work. The fact that the weekend before we were at my cousin S wedding didn't help a bit. Trying to function on very minimal sleep is a really downer when all you have to do is concentrate and not appear rude as each speaker presents. It was hard work I tell you.

Let me recap a little:
On Saturday 9th of August we woke up super early and made the great trek to the North West. It was sunny but cold and when we arrived there, there really wasn't much left to do. The bride looked as though she was about to kill someone and looked so miserable. I don't know if it was just nerves or was she really pissed off at someone. I kept thinking Oops here we go again - Bridezilla. I was musing whether she would be at least smile as she walked down the aisle.

I went to my hairdresser the day before and she twisted my hair with newspaper to get my very straight hair curly. I probably looked like a walking birds nest as I walked out off there and scurried on home. After a very uncomfy sleep I woke up and let one loose just to see the effect. It looked lovely but was a bit too tight so I decided to open them up, donned a beanie on my head and was on my way. The curls were made on dry hair with no mousse or hairspray so they were supposed to fall out and look all loose and flowing. As if? Luckily I took my Ghd with and ended re washing my hair and straightening it out to look all sleek and pretty. Pheew that was a disaster in the making. So much for smart and funky hair.

The wedding was lovely although her colour scheme of bright green, pink and black fell kind of flat and her minimal use of decor kind of set a very dull and drab tone. Nonetheless all went well, she looked lovely and the wedding was over. It was freezing cold and attempting to walk in killer sandals with your toes icy cold is a mission and a half.

The next morning woke up and drove back to Joburg for another function that was being held in honour of the married couple. At this point all I wanted was my bed but had to get all dressed up and sit through lunch and dessert. The function was ok and we ended up having a really good time. It's really great when everyone gets together, pity we all have such busy lives to enjoy each others company more often. The function was over way too soon and after saying all our goodbyes we made it home craving for a hot shower and a warm bed.

Last week was just horrendously busy. Monday and Tuesday I was at the office but super busy as I needed to complete everything before the conference started. Tuesday evening there was an awards function and a colleague who I used to work with in my previous department was awarded for something that I had done. I was upset about it. I didn't want to be awarded and don't get me wrong this isn't a case of sour grapes, but I worked extremely hard on the project alone with no help and she gets the credit. I was shocked and really didn't know what to say. It is unfair and I guess when you suck up to the boss than that's what happens.

The conference itself was very informative. Although it was long, I learn't a great deal and they ended it with a really great presentation by Robin Banks. The presentation was very insightful and really hit a few home truths with me. It made me realise that positive thinking is way better than being bogged down with silly negative stuff. He is way hilarious and had us in stitches for the hour and a half that he presented to us.

I went and saw my decor lady this weekend. Wow was I impressed with her goodies and her ideas just roll out from her mouth. I have decided that she is my new best friend. I am really beginning to stress about the wedding. I feel there is so much to do and there are only 4 months left. It is scary and overwhelming at the same time.

This week is proving to be kind of challenging. I feel that there is so much to do and having lost out on a practically a whole week is making me feel very overwhelmed. Also dealing with child-like customers who feel like throwing mini tantrums seems to be the order off the day. I hope it gets better.....

2 comments:

AngelConradie said...

wow... you have been busy!
who is your decor lady, mail me her details please, if you don't mind?

Zee said...

I have been sooo busy...

will mail you her details.